This tunic started out as a slim fitting men's shirt. I loved the color and small checks. If you notice in the before picture that the shirt is hanging from tree branches, it's because we were camping when I did this refashion. Yes, I brought my sewing machine camping! I have to admit, though, after years of tent camping, we now enjoy "glamping" in a travel trailer.
I removed the collar and the sleeves.
I cut a scoop neck.
After cutting down the width of the shoulder seams, I added a couple of higher darts to the bodice and then reattached the shortened sleeves.
I cut away the button bands on both sides of the shirt front, and then added a 6 1/2" wide piece of white fabric. I then made an inverted pleat at the top.
I finished the neckline with some bias trim cut from the excess sleeve fabric.
I added a few square buttons that mimicked the check in the fabric. To finish the tunic, I cut off some of the length and added a new shirt tail hem.
I'm pleased with the way this one turned out and think it will be a nice summer tunic!
If you would like to see more tunics in this series, you can visit my blog, Second Chances by Susan. Thanks!