Sunday, January 07, 2018

Off with their necks!

I finished off 2017 with a spree of removing the collars from things.

One was a cowl-neck sweater I got from a friend. I've never been a huge fan of cowl necks, and it turns out they're usually pretty easy to remove, since they're usually attached by a seam which makes a natural new neckline.

Sweater before

Sweater during

In the case of this sweater, I just cut the cowl off with about two inches to spare, and then turned what was left of it to the inside, notching it in a few places so it wouldn't bunch up.


Sweater after 


I was not very thorough in documenting the process of this project, but you can see a few photos of different neckline styles I tried and rejected, and how I styled the sweater for its debut appearance, over in my original blog post!

Around the same time as I did the sweater, I was also working on this blazer.

Blazer before


I accidentally ironed a permanent scar into the collar of this once-majestic blazer. 


After a couple years of sitting on it, I finally realized it might look all right if I just removed the collar and lapels. The collar came off easily with a seam ripper, and I cut the lapels into a V-shape I thought looked nice.


The trickiest part was taming the raw edges of the new neckline with bias tape. I am a bias-tape newbie; I'm almost certain I did it wrong; but I still ended up with something that works for me!

Blazer after


Although my craftsmanship might be a little iffy, I think the blazer overall has a much more flattering look with its new neckline! Visit my blog for a few close-up photos and a picture of my first outfit featuring the newly redesigned blazer!

Happy 2018!
--The Unfashionista

5 comments:

whatthesew said...

Both now look totally wearable.

I Can Work With That said...

These look great. You made them your own.
Chickie

Sandy said...

Wow! Love the reformed blazer.

Helpadya said...

Hi this is good to see that you are providing such great service and you giveing it for free. I love type of blogs that understand the value of providing a quality information. Thanks for sharing it very useful for Help Adya Used Clothes Online in India.  www.helpadya.com 

Erica Moody said...

Taking collars off things? No way, I've been doing that too! No collar club!